Thursday, June 11, 2009

White Residue

So I decided to do a load of dishes this morning. The sink was once again over flowing with dishes, and I would need at least a few of them to make dinner tonight. So I figured what the heck might as well get it over with.

Now I should say I am not one of these people who do a load of dishes, immediately unload it and put them all away, so I can put dirty dishes in the dishwasher as they become dirty.
No. I'm a dishes stay in the dishwasher until I either need a dish from it or the sink is so full I have no choice but too unload it, so as to reap the rewards of more clean dishes. Rarely do I even open said dishwasher unless one of the aforementioned events occurs.

Well the later happened, and knowing myself as I do, I knew that I would forget later in the day so I had best get to doing them while they were fresh in my mind. Easy enough, take the clean dishes from within the magic washing box, and load in the dirty. Wash, rinse, repeat...
Not quite. I should also say, I have a love hate relationship with my dishwasher. Sometimes it gets the dishes clean, other times it decided to clean only some of its charges and yet others it goes on strike completely, often making the dishes in it's care dirtier then when they went in. It's a very talented dish washer.

As of late, it has been doing it's partial job, dishes on the bottom cleaning, but ones on the top remaining less then spotless. Oh but not this morning, this morning I discovered it had decided to go on strike again with its last washing, smearing a think white residue on everything in its confines.

So out comes the scrub brush and the dish detergent, you would think I'd be used to hand washing dishes at this point. No, I hate dishes, wish a passion. It's a vile horrid little job, especially in a house of six people. But it was my fate this morning, so after checking the dishwasher, refilling all the little nooks and crannies that need this gel or this liquid or that powder, I refilled the dishwasher with the dishes from the sink, making sure no one from the dishwasher found there way back in with the others. They may be the source of the problem after all. And started up the dishwasher, hoping against hope that my extra attentiveness this morning would appease it in some small manner and it would then see fit to provide me with clean, useable dishes.

So with the dishwasher humming away, I set to the pile of dishes in front of me, all the while thinking it's going to be one of those days. These days suck. I was tired, I hadn't slept well, the dishes had been dirty. It was going to be an all around craptastic day.

As I put the last dish down, I realized I had been wrong, the dishes were done, sure I hadn't dried them. Hey anyone ever heard of air drying? I don't own a hair dryer either, in case you were wondering. The dishes were done and the worst of the day was over, all before nine am. I still had the whole day in front of me, and clean dishes. So twice the win. Just like that the white residue which had been weighing me down all morning, was washed away. I hadn't even realized I had my own white residue, holding me back and keeping me from taking advantage of everything the day could offer. Until it was gone.

We all have our own white residue, whether it is a project we need to do, or a job we dislike, a person that makes our lives less the great. We all have it, but it's up too each of us, do we let it hold us back, or do we wash it away and choose to make the most of the day.

I say wash it away, enjoy the day despite the challenges, take control and realize that they don't make up everything, they are only as big as you let them be. If it's a crappy job, take pride in doing your best, let your hard work and dedication wash away the residue. If it's a project sink your teeth into it with all your might so that when it's done you can put your name upon it and know that it is exactly what you want people to see, to know you for. If it's a person, ignore them, pity them, chances are if they are trying to make your life miserable, theirs has been miserable for a very long time, after all misery love company.

I've washed off my white residue, how about you?

1 comment:

  1. Well, I've got an awful amount of white residue around here from the remodeling (love the coating on the stove and the toilet sitting in my kitchen), but when it's done, I'll have a nice new tub to soak in, and let the white residue of stress suck down the drain. :) Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete